Friday, January 22, 2010

How Math Connects To The Research Task [Math]

Some would argue that math does not connect to our research task at all. That though is not true. Through my research on Afghanistan I had to use a lot of math skills to help me do the best research. Math can connect to our task in many ways. For example, in some of my research I learned new percentages about how many deaths there has been in the past year in Afghanistan. Along with percentages I also read a lot about numbers of fighters and numbers years. When it came to years, there were a lot. There were years of war or even how many years the soldiers would be in Afghanistan. Sometimes the text did not give the whole information and I opted to figure out the different between the years to find out how many years that the Soviets and Afghanistan fought. I also had to look at some graphs to find information. Even though I did not wish to use any information I learned of these maps in my essay, it was still in my research process. Also, I read about a lot of numbers. Numbers of deaths, number of soldiers, rankings. Those all relate with math as well. I learned rankings for Afghanistan, and again, death tolls. Overall, our research task did involve math.

1 comment:

PinkBubbles4589 said...

That is a good way of explaining how the two topics relate. I would never think about it in the way you explained. I thought you were doing child soldiers though.